Nov 15, 2008

Old Hobnail Pink


When I spent time at my parents house last week my mother gave me this beautiful pink opalescent hobnail antique vase. I had fallen in love with it and I was thrilled when she gifted me with it. There are no markings on the vase, but I believe it is Fenton French Opal Hobnail, produced by Fenton Art Glass in the 1950's. It's kind of squat in shape, 7" high, almost 8" wide at the top, and almost 4" wide at the base.



This beauty belonged to my Aunt Hazel, Mother's sister. Aunt Hazel was a beauty herself, a double for Rita Hayworth in the '40's, with her flaming red hair and bombshell figure.
Aunt Hazel was a real piece of work! As a young woman she was feminine and gorgeous, a clothes horse, wore the highest heels made, had a line of handsome men calling. Even though Auntie was a vision to look at in her beloved favorite color pink, she was no fading violet! She had a salty vocabulary and could take care of herself. Aunt Hazel was a "beautician", as a young woman. I loved going to her house where her "summer porch" was lined with old fashioned hair driers. Eventually Auntie tired of the "hair business" as she called it and she went to nursing school in her 40s, a profession she worked in for many years.
Aunt Hazel had a colorful real life, but it couldn't compare to the fantasy life of her golden years! In her mind she had many handsome, wealthy, and important suitors - including President George Bush (a.k.a. "Marty"), a "10 star" general, and billionaires from all over the world! God bless Aunt Hazel - she was a happy women, being wined and dined by multitudes of imaginary boyfriends! Who says getting old and confused has to be a bad thing? I think I want to be like Aunt Hazel when I grow up!
For more pink posts go to How Sweet the Sound. Beverly has a list of more pink-a-holics to visit!

22 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I once knew a lady who said what is wrong with living in your own little world. You have no worries, people bring you your food, and you wear what you want! I think your Aunt must have found out living in her own little world was quite good for her. I love your new "pink" vase. It definately is you!

Jules said...

Thanks for stopping by on my blog. And thanks for sharig your show and tell. I love things that are passed down from one generation to the next! :o)

Neabear said...

Enjoyed your Pink Saturday post. Wonderful story about your Aunt Hazel. Great memories you have of her. Happy Pink Saturday!!

Val R said...

Ohhhh, LOVE the vase!

Thank you for the sweet comment on my site.

ellen b. said...

What a sweet hobnail vase! I have some white hobnail. I love the pink...

fairiemoon said...

Rita Hayworth is a favorite of mine! I hope that when I am old and living in my own world, I'll have such lovely men calling on me. Maybe my one of favorite writers...Scott Fitzgerald, or David Lynch...we could get very creative here! Happy Pink Saturday!

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Kathy. And, God bless Aunt Hazel.

You have to admire those who have lived a happy life. We have much to learn by the example of those gone before us.

I love your vase, and I know it is a treasure for you.

GRAMS said...

Hi Kathy. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I came over to visit and have had a wonderful visit. Janis

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your hobnail vase is lovely and it's nice to have memories attached to it!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Hugs, Pat

Just A Girl said...

Hi Kathy,
Love the hobnail! It's such a pretty shade of pink.
Your story about your aunt reminded me of one from when I was a child.I went to school to be a cosmetologist and my grandpa found me this HUGE PINK hair dryer chair so that when I bought my own shop I'd have one. I was so horrified at how huge it was. I wish I had a picture of it now.
Have a happy weekend... pink weekend that is!

xo Cori

said...

Love the stories that you shared about your aunt. She sounds like she was quite a character! Maybe you could put a photo in one of these days. Lovely piece of milk glass also. :o)

suesueb said...

beautiful vase and a lovely story. i had a cousin hazel who was quite a character too! happy pink saturday!!

Virginia said...

Your hobnail vase is lovely.
Wonderful story about your Aunt Hazel.
Have a Joyful & Bless week,
Virginia

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved hearing about Aunt Hazel. Some day you must share a picture of her. You inherited a beautiful vase too. Happy Belated Pink Saturday.

Anonymous said...

What a great story about your Aunt---she sounded like quite a woman! That little Pink Hobnail vase is a treasure.
I enjoyed your thankful tribute to your daughter---how great that you two have such a wonderful relationship!
Happy PSat! Dana

CC said...

I love your vase..and I would have liked your Aunt Hazel as well. Have a wonderful week..

Kimberly said...

Women like your aunt are so inspiring. I hope to live my life so that people say later, "Boy, she was a character!" Thanks for sharing on this beautiful pink day! And thanks for dropping by!

Dawn said...

My mother absolutly loves Hobnail! I think she would sell one of us to get a vase like this! No just kidding, my mom isn't like that but I did grow up with a few ash trays made into hobnail. Thanks for the memories!Happy Pink Saturday!

gbloom studio said...

Thanks for your visit! What a beautiful pink vase! My Grandmother and Mother have some Fenton glass, I just love it! I need to start my own collection.
Gina

Sondra Behne' said...

Hello Kathy....so nice to met you and read your blog. I was intriqued with your posts and photos. Thanks for sharing with us all. Alos thanks for stopping by and see ya again soon.
Sondra

roseylittlethings said...

OOOH, I love it. I have some milk glass hobnail, and I love it!!! Happy belated pink Sturday!

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty ... I love old hobnail pieces, especially the pinks and blues.

Aunt Hazel sounds like my kinda girl ... hussy red hair, trashy mouth, and fantasizing about having too many suitors for one's own good ;-) Add a leather jacket, some Harley boots, and a shot of tequila, and you get ... well, um, I guess you get ME, a retired kindergarten teacher with a wild streak and a fondness for pink Depression Glass.

Please stop by my blog and pick up a free copy of my new cookbook, "Finish The Feast: Leftover Turkey They'll Love To Eat!" It's filled with yummy recipes and is suitable for printing and giving as a gift.

Hugs,

Victoria