Mar 28, 2008

The Tea Cup













The Tea Cup
The rising sun flickered through the bare branches of the trees.
A few birds perched on the branches.
Free.
She sat there looking, pondering, wondering.
Her fingers, wrapped around the cinnamon stick, stirring her tea.
She thought about her life, she yearned to be free,
As she raised to her lips,
The cup of tea.
(author unknown)





In 1972 my husband and I traveled to Moscow as guides. We had a wonderful trip and brought home some unique and beautiful things, including these tea cups. The orange set is a child's place setting. In Russia children drink tea at the table along with the adults, thus the child's tea cup. Even though the folk painted cups are more traditional, my favorite is the blue cup pictured above.





4 comments:

Sweet Necessi-Teas said...

I love your blue and white tea cup. So delicate! Thanks for sharing!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

That blue cup is just like the one I drank out of at the Ritz...Next time we WILL go! Surprising, or not! I have one of those Russian tea cups. Someone gave our son one when he was just a baby.

La Tea Dah said...

Hi Kat,

I'm so glad you are participating in the Gracious Hospital-i-Tea blog-a-thon! I enjoyed your post very much. Your teacups from Russia are beautiful!!!! I love the blue and white one very much and was excited to see it. My 19 year old son bought me a very special teapot for Christmas this year. He ordered it online and it arrived to the house amidst great secrecy and speculation. When I opened my gift from him it was the blue and white teapot that matches your teacup. It's even prettier in real life than in the picture! There's something about the glaze and it's luster that is very special.

So glad you have joined us! I am delighted to meet you!

LaTeaDah

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I love the blue and white one, especially since I am a collector of blue and white :).