Mar 19, 2009

What Memory Problem???

All bloggers are happy for their friends when they receive well deserved awards, but let's face it - awards are not the most exciting thing for fellow bloggers to read about. Well, how about an award most of us can give ourselves and for a cause most of us share?


Sometime during the early winter Kat, Just A Beach Kat, posted this cute Dory Bad Memory Award and she offered it up to anyone whose memory fit the description. I copied it to a file and then forgot about it! Recently I have been busier than usual getting ready for a bridal shower, my sons wedding, and a couple of trips. It seems like I have ten too many important things floating around in my head to remember. The lack of carbohydrates while getting ready to wear that pink chiffon dress at my sons wedding hasn't helped either! Well...today is the perfect day to resurface that Dory award.

I have spent the last two weeks shopping for wedding and shower supplies and for accessories for my outfit for the wedding, in addition to keeping track of the shower RSVP's. I'm not complaining about doing any of it - I am grateful that my sweet little daughter-in-law to be trusts me enough to ask me to decorate for her wedding. I mean, what an honor that is! And I love it all. But today...well, today was one of those days which lead one to get some extra rest - and maybe a cookie!
The day started so well. I had a few errands to run this morning. I left the house feeling quite chipper, fitted perfectly in a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to wear in a year. My hair looked especially cute, if I say so myself, and my nails were coming along nicely. I had decided I would heed my doctors advice and forgo acrylic nails - besides they cause ridges and really thin natural nails. My nails were looking pretty good - no bumps or ridges and growing quite long. I went to Kohl's to look for a few things to take on an upcoming trip since they have a great sale going on. I immediately found some things I liked, but managed to leave most of them on the floor WITH MY PURSE while I wondered around the store looking at a few other things. "OH, NO!" came to mind when I needed my purse. Backtracking, I found all my loot and my purse unharmed. I eventually bought several items without trying them on and continued on my way to Lord & Taylor at a mall across town. I was in search for a gift, which I didn't find, but managed to leave my reading glasses on a counter. When I say I need reading glasses, I mean I NEED READING GLASSES! Thankfully, I hadn't gotten too far, but I still had to waste more time going back for the glasses that should be welded to my head whenever it would be convenient to see. I left the mall where Lord & Taylor is and went on to my next stop - the cleaners. I needed my Springy lime green jacket to wear to the shower on Sunday in case nothing in my shopping bag worked. There seemed to be some kind of discrepancy with another customer, but I waited patiently, just happy the problem was not with my jacket. Not so fast. While the gentleman argued his point that his wife's Delta Airline uniform blouses should be white with red trim, not white with red streaks up the sleeves, another employee searched for my lime green jacket. Oh boy, this was not looking good. She ran the automated clothes rack around in circles with such speed that my lime green jacket became a blur. More amazing to watch was the young lady, as she ran around the same circle under the rack with equal speed. Gee...it's difficult to get those clothes off that rack without stopping it first. Thankfully, a light bulb moment struck this bright young woman and she stopped the rack from its twirl in order to fetch my jacket. Clean lime jacket in hand, I was off to Hobby Lobby to rent two lovely white candelabras for the June wedding. My son met me there to choose the set he and his sweetheart wanted to use. He left for a job site and I searched out an employee to write it up. Now...our Hobby Lobby is brand new. One hour and 6 ladies later I was on my way out the door with rental agreement in my now NAIL BITTEN HANDS. Not one single person in the store, including the manager, knew how to rent out the stinking - I mean, lovely wedding items. Two more stops, I thought to myself gratefully as I got back into the line of traffic extending for two miles - and I might add, trying to avoid pot holes large enough to eat an automobile for lunch. I needed to run into the hardware store to pick up some - wait...I'm in the hardware and I can't remember why I came here. I left without whatever it was I needed. Thank the good Lord - literally, last stop! But the theme of the day wasn't quite over yet. I remembered what I had forgotten - I hadn't needed a thing at the hardware store, but I did need an album from Kohl's as part of the shower supplies. I returned to Kohl's and quickly chose two albums since they were on sale. I didn't know what I needed the second one for but on a day like today, I wasn't taking any chances. Back in my car, now 8:00 pm, I headed for what was going to be my last stop. I started tanning this week so I won't burn to a crisp in Florida. I wanted to stop to do that so I wouldn't have to go out again tonight. I thought about the day as I waited for my 13 minutes of mindless pretend sunshine. I would try to relax while I tanned, I would go home and have a nice bubbly whirl tub bath, and I would treat myself to a low carb "treat" bar - yum and joy. This nightmare day was almost over. My name was finally called - "room 7 is ready for you, Kathy". As I happily placed my purse on the chair in the room I glanced in the mirror. BACKWARDS! My hooded, navy blue with white stitching running suit jacket had been on BACKWARDS ALL DAY.

Today, I am awarding myself the Dory Award and an extra low carb protein bar. If any of you girls can top my day, go ahead - you deserve to claim Dory for your own! As for tomorrow, maybe I should rethink those acrylic nails.


13 comments:

pam said...

oh my...that was quite the day! I do the "why did I come here" thing quite often.

Terry said...

SOrry, but I had to laugh..I think we all have had days of running errands and delays every which way we go. But to find out that you had your jacket on backwards - too funny! And you know what - do we really care? Not really but it's still funny! And you gotta wonder how many people wondered if you were aware it was on backwards..You made me laugh.. :)

Kathy said...

This post made me smile all the way through. What a busy day! I sympathize with you and your memory problem. So many things to do and sometimes the memory files "corrupt".
Sure would love to visit a Hobby Lobby, though maybe one with more seasoned employees. Have a great day! Kathy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh Kat...I have the cutest pair of balck jogging capris with white trim....I don't even want to tell you how many times I have put them on inside out AND gone places....and then Candy can try to tell you, between the hysterical laughter about the time we met for lunch and I had two totally different sandals on. I thought I looked cute that day too! So, I FEEL your pain! Try to decorate the correct room for the shower. That could really be painful!!

Tee said...

No way can I top that! Hope today is better.

Heather said...

oh my goodness, the jacket was the nail in the coffin, lol! what a funny story. i have days like that too, but i think yours takes the cake!

~CC Catherine said...

This has been quite a day my friend..... Breathe, Inhale....Exhale......repeat for the next 6o minutes., and while doing so, make sure you're in a bubble bath with a tall cup of hot tea or cocoa.....or even a glass of your favorite low caffeine soda... You deserve a BREAK today! ;) You are so precious! ;) ~CC Catherine

Carolyn said...

What a day! But good that you have a great sense of humor.
Take care,
Carolyn

Carolyn said...

What a day! But good that you have a great sense of humor.
Take care,
Carolyn

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

This was all too funny! Sometimes, when I find that I'm having a day like that one, I just turn around and GO HOME. I can't imagine what I'm going to be like in twenty or thirty more years. YIKES!!!!!! It seems like I can't do anything without a list, and then sometimes I LOSE THE LIST!

I hope your day tomorrow is better!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Ok....I have to say I enjoyed seeing your little bunnies.......but I HOWLED over the story of your day! How funny.....well, I'll bet it wasn't funny then, but in retrospect?? Maybe??? And, on a cute hair day too?? Nooooo......... The other day I looked down to discover that I had on one navy and one black sock.....mmmmmmmmmmm........yeah, embarrassed. :-)

What a cute couple you and your hubby are...

Blessings,
Spencer

Ms.Daisy said...

Kathy,
Thank you for making me smile and then laugh right out loud when you found out the "hoodie" was on backwards! Great sense of humor!



Jean

Neabear said...

I am still catching up on your blog here. I had to laugh, especially when I got to the part about the jacket being on backwards. My goodness! Reminds me of the day I wore two different shoes to work and never noticed till the next morning when I went looking for my shoes to put them on again. And saw they were two different shoes. The corresponding pair was still sitting where I had sat to put them on in the first place. I sure felt like a dork then.