May 7, 2008

What A Good Read Can Do For The Soul!


Some time ago Gina at Simply Heart & Home was tagged by Lisa at Blessed With Buttons and Lace to participate in the Find A Book MEME. Gina didn't feel comfortable tagging other bloggers (she's so thoughtful!) so she left the tag open to anyone who wants to participate. I've been waiting until I had time to use it for a post. I'll do the same as Tina and let anyone who has the time continue the meme, unless CeeKay at Thinkin' of Home or Kathy at Needled Mom or Linda at Somewhere In Time or Betty at Country Charm or Rose at A Hint of Home would like to do it. They always have lots of intersting things to talk about! No pressure girls! When and if you want to and have time for it.

I love, love, love books and always have a couple of reads going. So I would like to share two books with you, at risk of boring you to death, that I enjoyed and I think many of you who read will also enjoy. The first book is a true life journey, "Lessons I Learned In The Dark", authored by Jennifer Rothschild. At the age of 15 Jennifer's sight was claimed by retinal disease. Her book describes her amazing journey to "learn how to really see". I know...it sounds like a downer, but it really is a very uplifting, hopeful story. The second book is a novel, "A Year By the Sea" authored by Joan Anderson, which I really loved. It follows a middle aged, traditional woman for one year as she takes much needed time to nurture herself. If you're looking for a summer read, consider "A Year By the Sea".


First, the meme rules are:
1. Pick up the nearest book of 125 pages or more.
2. State the title and author of the book.
3. Find page 25.
4. Find the first 5 sentences and enter them.
5. Find page 100 and enter the first, second, and fifth word on the page.
6. Post this meme to your blog.
7. Tag 5 people.
"Lessons I Learned In the Dark" by Jennifer Rothschild: Page 25
'My friend and I stood in the hallway of my new home exchanging decorating ideas.
When I commented on how much I loved the wallpaper in my hall bath, there was an awkward pause.
"But Jennifer...how do you know you love the wallpaper if you can't see it?"
It was a fair question.
I told her that my mother had described the Jacobean print to me in vivid detail, and that with every word I heard I fell more in love with it.'
Even though the guidelines for the MEME are to share the first five sentences on page 125, I feel the next two sentences clearly demonstrate this remarkable woman's attitude. It proves the power behind being able to CHOOSE happiness and contentment:
'In my mind's eye I could see the honey mustard, cranberry, and forest green colors twining through the vines and leaves on the wall.
It's funny: Even though I couldn't see it, I could see it.'
Page 100:
First word: God's
Second word: word
Fifth word: will
Wow! "God's, word, will"...
God's Word will supply hope. God's Word will bring joy. God's Word will inspire. God's Word will direct your path. God's Word will bring peace. God's Word will teach. God's Word will guide.
God's Word will encourage!!!!!


"A Year By the Sea" by Joan Anderson, page 25:

'We are flying over the surface of the water, bucking wave after wave.
I'm not sure whether I'm running away again or simply taking myself to a momentary refuge.

Who cares?

The adventure is intoxicating.

It amazes me how my perspective changes when I'm in a boat looking back toward the shore.'

Page 100:
First word: mooring
Second word: and
Fifth word: smacked

I loved the book, but no deep thoughts or words of wisdom here...just "mooring", "and", "smacked" - I got nothin'!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Thank you for the book recommendations, they sound great! I love to read too!
~Kelli

LBP said...

I have enjoyed browsing through your blog! I followed you here from Gracious Hospitality. I really loved the story of your Dad's violets.

Blessings

Linda

{oc cottage} said...

Just discovered you!! I'll be back.

M