May 28, 2008

A Thankful, Precious Celebration

As you read this post I am with my parents, celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. It is truly a joyous occasion because they love each other more today than they did on their wedding day 60 years ago. I watch them at times and they are in totally sync. They think alike, they move at the same time to do the same thing, they laugh at the same moment...I'm convinced they read each others minds. I have attempted a few breathless times to imagine one of them without the other and I simply can't. For now, I am celebrating having two wonderful parents who have stayed together through joy and hardship to build a legacy of love for all of us who watch in awe. I include some pictures of Mom and Dad on their wedding day and some more in the present, still sweethearts.

This precious picture is Mom and Dad on their wedding day. Didn't she look beautiful in her lovely satin gown? The dress still rests in tissue paper along with Mother's veil and satin shoes. I am one of three sisters and I have one daughter. Before each of us married mother brought out her precious wedding gown and carefully unwrapped it from it's protective layers. She helped each prospective bride into her gown and buttoned the million satin covered buttons up the back - as far as they would close! As it turns out not one of us could fit into her 20 inch waist! Mother enjoyed that immensely! Both Mom and Dad still remember every detail of their day, right down to the the little tear in the waist of Mothers dress. As they ran from the church among fluttering rice Daddy stepped on the hem. The moment was caught and rests in their wedding photo album, both of them looking at each other, laughing and not caring about anything but their love for one another. I have never known a man to love a woman more than my father loves my mother. And, oh, look at that sweet little cake! The bride and groom atop it in the photograph is in a box in their home today. The reception was held in my grandparents home. I've posted before about my memories of the elegant home with gorgeous furniture, linens, and crystal. I don't know if you can see it clearly enough in the picture or not, but just above the wedding cake and to my mom's right there is mirror hanging over a dining buffet table. That mirror now hangs in my parents home over their dining buffet.

Here Mom and Dad are with my grandchildren, December 2007.

Dad, a nature lover, sitting by one of his beloved mountain streams. I cherish my father for the gentle and kind man of God he is.


Mom and Dad, March 2008. We had such a lovely day with them, walking along some of the beautiful pathways in the Smoky Mountains.

I think I shall close my post now and schedule its delivery before I melt into a heap of tears just thinking about the fairy tale my parents are!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

60 years.......wow! And with your grandchildren..........! The Lord has truly been faithful. Thanks for sharing this with us - its definitely something to aspire to.

God bless you!

Sharon,
http://thereservoir.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

This post is all what I hpe for. Thank you for sharing your parents with me. God bless you and your mom and dad.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Kathy,

Isn't it great when our parents have wonderful relationships? My Dad has gone on to be with the Lord now. It was rather difficult for my Mom and will never be the same. Thank you for sharing your parents story. It brings back fond memories for me.

Anonymous said...

oh wow! happy anniversary to your mom and dad! God bless!

Denise said...

Wow, 60 years. That is so awesome. I wish your parents many more years of happiness.

Anonymous said...

Lovely Thankful list and thanks for sharing hope you have a great day. TC. Happy TT!

Mine is here

Anonymous said...

How lovely. I'm glad you got to be there! *sniff*
Gina @ Gina's Public Diary

A Hint of Home said...

What a happy time that celebration was. Congrats! on their 60 years of marriage. They make a lovely couple, even in the recent photos.
Thanks for sharing.

Love Bears All Things said...

This was beautiful. My parents were married 59+ years. She died in July before their anniversary in September. He followed her to heaven 16 months later. I feel the same way about their love for each other. Enjoy this time with them.
Mama Bear

Melanie said...

Parents are such special blessings from God!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Linda said...

What a beautiful post - I hope that you share that with your adorable parents. Have a wonderful day. ~Linda

eph2810 said...

That is so cool to see two sweethearts staying together for such a long time. Congratulations to your parents. I know that you all had a wonderful celebration this past weekend.
Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us.
Blessings to you and your precious family.