May 21, 2008

In the Mood For Cookies?

I absolutely LOVE cookies! If they sit within my reach, they haunt me, they call my name! I thought you all might like a few of my favorite cookie recipes to add to your summer collection. My mother has made the first recipe for years when the family gets together and there is usually a fight over who gets the last one! The second is a cookie I made for my children when they were small. They are neat for them to eat, but keep in mind they have nuts in them. The third recipe is simply divine. If you are a chocolate lover, and who isn't, you will love these! They are not so neat to eat, but frankly, I don't care. If I see those babies, I'm goin' in! I hope you enjoy my recipes. It's almost the weekend...cookies anyone?

Chocolate Scotch-A-Roo’s
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut better
6 cups Rice Krispies
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 ounces butterscotch morsels

Cook sugar and syrup until bubbling. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter; mix until smooth, being careful since this mixture is very hot. Stir in Rice Krispies. Pat into buttered 9x13 inch pan. In glass measuring cup, melt together the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Pour over cereal mixture. Cool and cut into bars.


Butterscotch Thins
6 ounces butterscotch morsels
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 2/3 cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butterscotch morsels and butter over hot water or in microwave at medium. Remove from heat and beat in sugar, eggs, baking soda, salt, flour, and vanilla. Mix well. Shape dough in 2 logs. Wrap with waxed paper and chill several hours. Thinly slice the dough and bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for about 6-8 minutes, or until brown.


Fudge Oat Bars
Cookie Dough:
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 sticks butter
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups quick oats, uncooked
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream brown sugar and butter until fluffy; add salt, eggs, vanilla, baking soda; then add oats and flour. Mix well. Press 2/3 dough into greased 9x13 inch baking pan, reserving 1/3 dough for topping.

Filling:
12 ounces chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

Combine ingredients for filling in microwave or saucepan and heat on low temperature until chocolate chips are melted. Pour the filling over the unbaked crust, spreading evenly.
Drop the reserved dough by teaspoons full all over filling. Press down gently. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars. Yummy!

6 comments:

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

I'm always in the mood for cookies! LOL! Thanks for sharing these recipes! I might just have to try some this weekend! ~Rhonda ;)

Mary Beth said...

Thanks! I will be sure and pass these along to my 13 year old daughter who does the baking and alot of the cooking at our house!!!

She gets those skills from her Gram!

Blessedw5mom said...

Oh MY!!! I'm running out to get the stuff to make those oatmeal bars right now! MMMM ...

Mary Beth ~ My almost 13 year old does most of our baking, too. She really enjoys cooking and baking much more than I do.

Shelley said...

Perfect timing! My son and DIL are coming for a visit next week and I was thinking of making a big batch of several types of cookies. Thanks for sharing!

LBP said...

Thanks so much for those yummy recipes! I have copied and pasted right into my recipe book!

I too am a cookie monster!
Blessings
Linda

Anonymous said...

Well, my goodness. Today is the day for cookie recipes. I just visited someone else who had posted a chocolate chip recipe. Temptation is in the air. I just baked 1 1/2 dozen scones, though - I don't think I can handle being in the kitchen another minute. Thank goodness for leftovers!!

But those chocolate oat bars sound delicious...


Thanks for stopping by my blog and actually leaving a comment! I like non-lurking readers. ;)