May 15, 2008

Show & Tell: I'm In Love!


I have not been blogging in the last week or so. I've missed it and all of you! I have been a little under the weather and I have also been involved in a major home decorating project - that's actually a very large understatement! Our son recently moved out of our house for the first time in order to purchase a home of his own in preparation for his marriage in a year. I have been taking pictures of the work done in his room all along because I knew the transformation would be incredible. Again, an understatement. My sweet boy is a gigantic sports fan, especially of local teams. Since we live in the Detroit metropolitan area the teams which have taken over my house for a very long time are the Pistons (basketball), Detroit Tigers (baseball), Red Wings (hockey), and University of Michigan (football). Now, I can go as far as to enjoy watching a playoff game or two but to totally paint a room in bright Piston blue is just not right! Well, my darling boy slept his last night at home about two weeks ago and the transformation began the very next day. Sorry, Doll Boy, I've dreamed of this day since the blue went up on the walls (not dreaming of the day you would leave of course, but the paint...oh, the paint!) It's been a loooooooooooooong two weeks. At the same time as emptying out my husband's parents house and being sick, I have been elbow deep in lilac paint. Hallelujah, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! And it is going to be worth every miserable second! I hardly feel any guilt at all when my poor boy comes back home and stands alone in the center of this new stangeland, A.K.A. BEAUTIFUL room, wondering why it all happened so fast! I miss my sweet boy like crazy, but I don't miss the Pistons, not even a little. Since this week Kelli's Friday Show & Tell is about something we have made, I am posting the room I have lovingly made for the many guests I hope will stay over and over again in my lovely new lilac room. Here are some pics to prove my point about the transformation from Piston's to lilacs! Ok, ladies, am I right or am I right?

The beginning of the story...it's like a bad dream now!


The next step...prime and final coat in lilac, trimmed in Cocoa White. Bye-bye Piston blue!


Here's my final hand painted border of wisteria, in white with purple and pink touches.


The furniture arrived Tuesday - could you die? I'm in love...
Hand painted vintage silk shades, yum!


Details on the head and foot boards.


The nearly finished product, with the addition of a white down comforter and one of the shams. Still have no dust ruffle, nothing on the window, nothing on the walls. I hope that will be next Friday's Show & Tell post!

41 comments:

Mary Beth said...

did you free hand that border??? I would do well just to get my white wall painted a color!

HEY... we live close by each other!

JEWELGIRL said...

This is gorgeous! Would be
a wonderful guest room!

Donna Gotlib said...

Your guests are going to love visiting you! What a beautiful job.

Cookie

Rebecca said...

Wow, you are a talented painter!!! What a beautiful room!! Thanks for sharing!!

Thru Pink Curtains said...

What a lot of work to paint that wall but a lot of fun too. I painted a mural on a wall once with trees and a house, dogs etc. It looks like fun! Anyway I like your blog with all the flowers and things. Have a nice weekend!!!

Thru Pink Curtains said...

Oh and I love your music 'Somewhere" i was just listening to Leona Lewis-you can see her on you tube. She sounds exactly like this one you have on your blogg.

Mary said...

What a beautiful transformation. The wisteria is a wonderful touch and the furniture is awesome. Love what you've done.

Blessings,
Mary

Susie said...

Love the colors you have chosen. I'm sure it will be just lovely when it's finished!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it’s gorgeous transformation! Soon we are moving to new home, you give me an inspiration.

Ruuta

The Proverbs Wife said...

Everything looks lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Hootin Anni said...

Let me tell you..........if it went from that stark blue to this beautiful lavender shade......I would have kicked my son out long ago.

[just kidding!]

But It IS Gorgeous.

My SnT this week is Native American Jewelry. I also added a book review this morning too, so scroll down below the review for commenting. Happy Friday to you.......

LBP said...

All I can say is WOW! What a transformation. I love the wisteria border. Beautiful.

Blessings

Linda

Coach Paulette said...

What a lovely makeover - so pleasing to the eye and relaxing!

Barbara H. said...

Oh my -- how utterly gorgeous!!! Can I come and stay for a while? :D I think my favorite part, besides the lilac color, is that hand painted border. You're so talented!

And I do agree about the Piston blue -- it's a bit too bright for a room! I know what you mean, too, and not wanting a child to leave home but having eager plans for their living space when they're gone!!

Constance said...

What a transformation!!! Can I come and stay? You need a precious guest book for that room, something where friends can write lovely things about their time spent with you!

I had to laugh about the Detroit sports teams! We are struggling to stay in the Stanley Cup Playoff against your crushing Detroit Red Wings team! They are a force of nature!

Connie

Linda Jennings said...

Oh my!! Lovely!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Yummy....now that it is almost done, you should take a break and sleep on that wonderful bed. Lord knows you want to!!! and need to...but we won't go there!

Anonymous said...

Wow.... where do you live? I've got to make sure when I travel, I would stop by your town just so that I can spend a night in that guest room! What a beautiful job you did!!!! Thanks for sharing.

GranthamLynn said...

It is really pretty. I love it. I love the border you did an amazing job. What a lovely room. I'll be glad to be the first to check in for the weekend! LOL thanks for sharing.

A Hint of Home said...

What a transformation! It's beautiful already. Can't wait to see more.

Dawn said...

Beautiful hand painted border...

Anita said...

Wonderful, what a great transformation! You did a great job! I especially LOVE LOVE LOVE those handpainted border of wisteria! I would love to have a wisteria in our garden....

Warm wishes from Germany,
Anita

Linda said...

Beautiful transformation - you've inspired me to get the final two rooms in our house painted! I LOVE your furniture - care to share where/what brand it is? I haven't posted my S&T yet...will try to tonight. Go Red Wings (I'm a Michigander too - though I live in Illinois now). Have a great weekend.

Timalee said...

I love wisteria, and that border is so beautiful. The room looks great, I would not want to leave if I was your guest!

Seeb said...

Wow,just wow.great job,a complete new look.
I'm glad find your blog I enjoy your picture I'll add you to my list with your permission.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a lovely room! While we have very different approaches to the room, I was in a similiar spot last fall and created my own office/craft room and I am in lve as well! Enjoy the beautiful room!
hugs, Linda

nancy said...

What an incredible transformation. The blue was hideous, wasn't it!
Nancy

DabookLady said...

oh wonderful room I want to stay there. :)

DabookLady said...

oh and OVer the Rainbow is my favorite song especially the Hawaiin version....:)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Beautiful room ...and the border is stunning! You did an outstanding job! I'm sure your guest will feel as though they are on a retreat in this room! :)

~Rhonda

on the ROCKS said...

I love the wall color. And the wisteria is painted so beautifully. You have totally transformed your son's room. Maybe this little project kept you from missing him so much his first two weeks being away from home. You better not show too many people or you'll have guests all the time.

Wanita said...

Oh my goodness ~ what a transformation! The room looks beautiful!

Kelli said...

Oh my! Such a gorgeous room! I love the floral border, you did a great job!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! I'd love to stay in that room. :)

The walls don't seem too bare with the pretty border.

Have a great weekend!

My site is at http://jendisjournal.com. I had to sign in with my old site.

Love Bears All Things said...

Wow! When can I come? Just add me a comfy chair and foot stool and I could stay a while. It is so pretty.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping by!! I love the bedroom & the stenciling. How adorable:) have a great weekend!

Dianna said...

Oh, wow! That is one amazing room. You are very talented. I can't wait to see what else you do with it!

Betty said...

You did amazing things with that room. It's beautiful. Love the color scheme. Thanks for visiting me.

Kimba said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's so nice to "meet" you. I absolutely love your room. The color is beautiful.

I'll be back.

Kim

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Great S&T! You are very talented! The border, and whole rooms is just gorgeous!

Katherine

Shop girl said...

I best not come for a visit, I would want to stay forever....Romantic, fresh and oh so sweet. I love it all.
Hugs, Mary