Aug 23, 2008

The Perfect Pink!

Happy PINK Saturday Friends! Be sure to visit Beverly at How Sweet the Sound to see the list of all those posting about PINK! What could be better than pink muffins or cake?

I am a girl that just has to have a sweet treat once in a while! When I have time on Sunday mornings I like to make a batch of fresh, hot muffins for breakfast before church. Saturday mornings are good too, or maybe an evening while watching a movie...any time is ok with me!Lately I have been making these fresh strawberry muffins. The finished product is a lovely, sweet PINK delight!

Fresh Strawberry Muffins

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 cup fresh strawberries, finely chopped

*******************

2 1/2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

sugar for sprinkling on tops

Combine sugar and chopped berries in a bowl - kind of give them a little smoosh with a fork. Let the berries sit in the sugar while you mix the rest together. In a second mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk. All at once add milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, strawberry/sugar mixture, and chopped nuts. With spoon or spatula stir it all together until just mixed. Do not over mix. Prepare your muffin pans by spraying with oil or use paper cupcake liners. I usually spray those very lightly with oil too. Fill muffin cups to about 2/3 full ( I use an ice cream scoop or a 1/3 cup measuring cup so the muffins are uniform in size). Sprinkle the tops of each with a little sugar. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool slightly and enjoy!


Pink Cherry Coconut Cake



Aren't these birthday candles cute? They're shaped like stars, balloons, cakes, and party hats.



The cake is a cherry chip cake mix with coconut and finely chopped walnuts. I bake all my layer cakes in three 8 inch pans. I frosted this cake with a fluffy marshmallow frosting. The cake turns out a pretty pink and with the snow white frosting it is a really pretty cake.
Marshmallow Frosting

½ cup sugar
¼ cup white corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
2 extra large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in small pan. Heat to rolling boil over medium heat. Allow syrup to boil for about 3 minutes. While this is boiling, beat the egg white with a mixer for about a minute, or until soft peaks form. Remove the syrup from the heat and drizzle it into the egg whites as you are continuing to beat them on high. Continue beating until stiff peaks form (about 2 minutes); add vanilla. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
I usually make one and a half or two recipes for a large cake.

20 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh YUM, that looks so good!

Martha said...

I thought that the candles were lollipops. (That would be a neat idea too). Your cake looks absolutly mouth watering!!

Blessings,
~Martie

Gone said...

Happy PINK Saturday Kathy. Mmmm, mmmm...looks and sounds delightful!!

~Blessings,
Jan

ellen b. said...

Yummy and pretty. I'll have to copy the recipe and try it. Well we were on the same track today cuz I posted a recipe too. happy pink to you...

Dawn said...

What a yummy post! The strawberry muffins sound divine!! The candles on the cake look like a fun addition.

Happy Pink Saturday!

take care,
Dawn

Tracy said...

Hi, Kathy...This all de-lish!! Thank you for sharing...I love a sweet treat too! :o) Happy Pink Saturday ((HUGS))

Virginia said...

Yummy, Yummy!
Have a Bless Pink Saturday, Virginia

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Kathy.

These recipes sound delicious. I would have enjoyed a muffin with my coffee this morning.

And, those candles are adorable.

Lochlanina said...

YUM!
Happy Pink Saturday.

Just A Girl said...

These look delicious and pink.
Happy pink Saturday.
Cori G.

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Ooh wow!
Talk about a Sweet post!
I am totlaly in love with strawberries and I alway make blueberry muffins.I will have to make the strawberry ones now.Is the marshmellow frosting real rich?
Happy Pink Saturday!

Anne Fannie said...

The cakes look so yummy!
My mouth was watering when I was looking at them! That strawberry muffin recipe sounds good too. Thanks for sharing!
Love, Ann

said...

How yummy looking!

Patricia said...

Thanks so much for wonderful receipe. I have to try this. Happy Pink Saturday !!!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sweet Kathy!

Thanks for the yummy PINK Saturday recipes! Yum! Now off to make copies! : )

Hugs,
Maryjane

Dawn said...

The pink muffins sound lovely! I used to fix something fresh and hot every Sunday morning - that was before church was at 8:30!

As for your S&T - what a great story! Sounds like something straight out of an old wonderful t.v. show - what a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a fresh muffin and that recipe sounds devine. Just give me the bowl of frosting and a spoon and I will be a happy gal! Great pink recipes--yum, yum! Check out W-Mart for $6.00fake Crocs! ;-) Soooo comfy. dana

Nancy Rosalina said...

I will try those strawberry muffins...sounds easy and I bet their Yummy. Nancy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Go to my blog....I tagged you...I couldn't resist!

Margie said...

Mmmmmmmmm! Yummy, yummy looking *pinks*! I love those adorable candles!